Information & Privacy Analyst
BC Transit is a provincial crown corporation and coordinates the delivery of safe, reliable, cost-efficient and market-focused transit services in British Columbia outside of the Greater Vancouver region. Working in partnership with local governments and private companies, BC Transit provides direct services in fleet acquisition and management, contract administration, transit planning, marketing and financial services.
This position is based in Victoria which is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island. Victoria (regional population 330,000) is the capital of British Columbia and a community of choice for many, due to our temperate climate, natural beauty and diverse economic opportunities. Victoria is an international resort destination with a transportation network that includes airport, helicopter and seaplane services, buses, ferry, and cruise ships.
Provides leadership and guidance to BC Transit with respect to the access and privacy provisions under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Leads organization review of information access practices and also conducts audits across the enterprise to ensure compliance with information access policies and procedures.
- Leads organizational review and audit of information access practices to ensure compliance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPP).
- Designs and oversees implementation o fan organizational-wide information and privacy framework to foster a privacy-sensitive culture and proactively avoid privacy breaches.
- Conducts on-going reviews of organizational policies and procedures, developing and implementing changes as necessary to ensure compliance to the information access requirements of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPP). Maintains awareness of changes to legislation and jurisprudence and adapts policies and procedures accordingly.
- Advises senior management on sensitive or controversial issues related to information access requests including persistent issues and/or significant or precedent-setting decisions made by the Information Privacy Commissioner that could affect BC Transit’s interpretation and application of the Act. Acts as a resident expert on information access and provides technical guidance to support the collaboration of privacy-related processes. Provides advice and training to BC Transit staff on the application of the legislation and internal policies and procedures.
- Has access all corporate records which relate to matters of a confidential nature which includes labour relations and personnel.
- Receives requests for information under FOIPP and identifies applicable program area/department. Refers FOI request files to the applicable internal records providers within the organization. Guides internal records providers during the record gathering process.
- Makes decisions on the need to withhold and/or release information or records ensuring risks, legal and security issues to the author, applicant, third parties and/or the organization. Indexes all severed items for further review and final severing decisions.
- Applies the legislation to the records provided and to ensure compliance and protection of BC Transit interests.
- Scans documents into the FOI redaction system and uses redaction technology to perform preliminary severing. Reviews documents, interprets and applies provisions of the Act.
- Prints final FOI response packages, prepares cover letters and coordinates the release of information to requesters based on Manager’s approval.
- Recommends and implements a framework for conducting and preparing Privacy Impact Assessments for projects involving the extensive collection of personal information.
- Assesses information and training needs, develops materials and facilitates in-house training for Corporation staff.
- Acts as contact for the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner and Freedom of Information requestors.
- Oversees and participates in the organization, maintenance and monitoring of information access requests, relying on sound administrative procedures to track status in accordance with the provisions of the FOIPP Act.
- Diploma in law, public administration, information management or other directly related discipline and five years’ experience in a role performing analytical work, or an equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- Experience interpreting and applying legislation, policies and directives relating to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and Document Disposal Act.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills to ensure compliance with approved policies and legislative requirements and to make recommendations pertaining to information access and privacy provisions.
- Knowledge of the BC Transit organization structure, functions and staff to appropriately refer FOI requests for response coordination, an asset.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Basic judgment, tact and experience in handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- Advanced knowledge of the standard suite of Microsoft Office software.
- This position requires the completion of a clear Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Testing and assessments will be included as part of the recruitment process.
BC Transit Offers:
- Competitive compensation
- Extensive group benefits (medical, extended health, life insurance) and pension program once eligible
- Fitness Centre, health and wellness programs, and an employee and family assistance counseling program
Please reply with an accompanying resume and covering letter quoting competition number 2014-004 to:
BC Transit, Human Resources Department
520 Gorge Road East
Victoria, BC V8W 2P3
Fax: (250) 995-5664
This posting will remain open until filled.
BC Transit Is Committed To The Principles Of Employment Equity
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
While BC Transit values all applications we receive; only those candidates short-listed for further consideration will be contacted.